Benson Varghese is a Board Certified Criminal Lawyer. He is also the founder and Managing Partner of Varghese Summersett PLLC. Benson represents individuals charged with the most serious state and federal criminal offenses. He has proven himself in and outside of the courtroom as a criminal defense attorney who has obtained favorable results handling complex criminal matters.
Board Certification is a rare distinction among lawyers. To become Board Certified an attorney has to have the recommendation of their peers, judges, and attorneys they have tried cases against – all before sitting for a rigorous exam. Additionally, Board Certification requires a significant portion of the attorney’s practice be in the specialty area. (Mr. Varghese practices criminal law exclusively.) Additionally, to sit for the exam, the attorney must have significant trial experience. (Mr. Varghese has tried over 100 jury trials in state and federal court.)
Benson Varghese has been recognized as a Top 100 Trial Attorney by the National Trial Lawyers Association and has been named a “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth, Texas magazine every year since 2012. He is also a member of the College of the State Bar of Texas, a distinction held by less than 10 percent of all licensed attorneys in Texas.
Mr. Varghese is also a past president of the Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and currently serves on the TCCDLA Board of Directors.
He is also regularly on local and national news stations and frequently serves as an expert for newspapers across the country. You can see his notable media appearances here.
Benson Varghese has extensive experience litigating issues relating to intoxication (alcohol, drugs, and prescription drugs), specimen analysis (breath and blood), and retrograde extrapolation in DWI, intoxication assault, and intoxication manslaughter cases.
He has also successfully represented individuals charged with all levels of sexual allegations ranging from indecency charges to sexual assault of a child, and continuous sexual assault charges.
Benson Varghese is a member of the Federal Bar Association. He regularly handles federal criminal cases and focuses on federal conspiracy charges and cases where the government is relying on sophisticated means of detection.
He also represents corporations (including corporate management and directors) being investigated for fraud, securities violations, antitrust violations, and breaches of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Benson is also an avid supporter of a number of philanthropic and non-profit organizations. In 2019, he was named The Outstanding Young Lawyer of Tarrant County for his professional proficiency and service to the profession and service to the community.
Want to learn more about Benson Varghese? Read this Entrepreneur Magazine write-up:
Representative Practice Areas
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Federal Drug Charges
- DWI Defense
- Intoxication Manslaughter Defense
- Sexual Assault Defense
- Child Sexual Assault Defense
- Aggravated Assault Defense
- Assault Defense
- Possession of Marijuana Defense
- Possession of Controlled Substances in Texas
- United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Texas, White Collar Division, Intern, 2008-2009.
- Judge Sharen Wilson (current District Attorney), Tarrant County Criminal District Court Number One, Staff Attorney, 2009.
- Assistant District Attorney, Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, 2010-2014.
- Southern Methodist University (BBA)
- Texas Tech University School of Law (J.D.)
Philanthropic Efforts and Community Involvement
- Habitat for Humanity
- Rotary Club of Fort Worth
- Tarrant County Volunteer Services
- Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
- Course Director, White Collar Seminar, 2018, 2019
Honors, Memberships, and Awards
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist
- Named a Best Place to Work for in Fort Worth, Fort Worth Inc., 2023
- Named a 2023 DFW Favorite, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 2023
- Named to the Texas Lawyer’s 2023 Watch List
- Named a Super Lawyer – Super Lawyer Magazine, 2022
- Named a Top 100 Rising Stars in Texas – Super Lawyer Magazine, 2020, 2021
- Named the 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Tarrant County Young Lawyer’s Association.
- Named One of Fort Worth’s Fastest Growing Companies (No. 6), Fort Worth Inc. Magazine, 2019
- Listed No. 782 on the Inc. 5000 list of America’s Fastest Growing Companies, Inc. Magazine, 2018
- Voted “Best Law Firm,” Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 2018
- Named a Minority Leader in Business by the Fort Worth Business Press, 2017
- Finalist for Entrepreneur of Excellence Award, Service Category, Fort Worth Inc. Magazine, 2017, 2023
- Selected as a Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016 – 2022
- Named “Top Attorney” by 360 West Magazine, 2017 – Present
- Named “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth Magazine, 2016 – Present
- Recipient of the Martindale Hubbel “Client Champion” Award, 2017
- Named “Premier 100 Trial Attorney” by the American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Rated 10.0 by AVVO
- Client’s Choice Award: Criminal Defense, Federal Criminal Defense, DUI Defense
- Steer Fort Worth, Member
- Rotary International, Downtown Fort Worth, Member
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Eldon B. Mahon Inns of Court, Associate Member, 2011-2013
- American Inns of Court, Member
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, Past Board Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Member
- Federalist Society, Member
- Liberty Leadership Council – Executive Committee Member (Texas Public Policy Foundation)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- National Rifle Association, Lifetime Member
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association, Lifetime Member
- National College for DUI Defense, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Dallas County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association, Past Member